5.4 Earthquake, Epicenter Chino Hills, CA

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 4:12 PM

Alot of people sensed the e.q. as stronger than the previous one which were higher on the Richter scale because as Cal Tech said, it was 7 miles in depth.  All I know is that the electricity went of once and came back on minutes later.  Second time the electricity went off, it did not come back on and minutes later I felt the ground shaking under my feet.  I thought, oh no, I know that feeling and sure enought it was yet another e.q.  My husband's truck was parked as he was just getting into it.  The tires were bouncing around and left the ground.  So far no reports of any serious injuries or damage.  Just if any of the readers have relatives over this way.  It was felt as far north as Ventura, south to San Diego and to Las Vegas.  So although LA County felt the affects, the majority of structural damage was done to buildings in Orange County.  It was described as moderate but was felt as stronger than the Northridge earthquake.  The fault ran under Lake Elsinore and was felt so strongly in Chino because they are so close to the fault line. 

Ironically, just YESTERDAY I found myself asking myself for another reason people love to knit..  I answered myself and said, it's because I can always take my knitting or crocheting with me.  It so easy to do.  Not so with sewing, who can lug a sewing machine around in the car, besides who wants to deal with all those straight pins?   I do have a ball of yarn and needles in my "EARTHQUAKE BAG" for just such an occasion. 

Wink  I think we need a smiley logo for 'earthquake' like there are for other weather conditions.   Who takes care of that? 

Of course the mayor of LA wasn't even in LA 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Aug 24, 2008 7:49 AM

We went to CA a week after the quake. I had to convince my hubby that knitting needles were allowed on the planes now.

The last quake I was in shook the bed. I woke up thinking it was the cat with a hairball. Pretty big hairball. Husband still finds it funny.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 8, 2009 7:27 PM

Hi there DeniseJ,

Didn't see your post til today - r u still here in CA? 

It's funny - the same thing just happened to me.  I didn't notice my puppy curled up next to me and when he moved the whole cushion shook and I really thought, "Oh No! Here we go again!" 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 8, 2009 8:50 PM

i spoke too soon.  JUST after I wrote this post, I checked my home page to discover the recording of an earthquake here in the greater los angeles area at 7:49 p.m.  I felt something at the time but didn't pay much attn.  Just a coincidence we were just discussing.  I guess any time is the time to expect an earthquake nowadays! 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS