I made this Apple & Pear Potholder for my boyfriend’s daughter. She requested fruit and preferred apples & pears.
This is the first time I designed a pattern at a 90° turn so it would work well with the stripes in the yarn and they would be vertical on the fruit. I made an apple coaster to test my original color yarn choices which the red had a predominant stripe (Damask Ombre) and then a pot holder. I made a mistake of using the wrong size needles for potholder #1, so it was huge and floppy.
On the second potholder, I modified the design to make it a tad smaller, thickened in areas around the stems that were a bit obscure in the design and added a border for a bit more vintage, country or shabby-chic kitchen look. My boyfriend made the observation that the borders looks like stitching which I agree it does sort of look like the stitching of a patchwork quilt.
I also tried dyeing my own yarn for the multi-shaded red for this 2nd potholder. I was trying for a light coral red, red and a darker burgundy red stripe and while I missed the target, it is still is pretty red yarn. Here's the back side of the pot holder: