advertisement

Free EBooks

Topics

Browse Media

the AFGHAN - one hundred twenty-one squares of bliss!

Feb 8, 2010
Views: 2,268
Average rating:

Sunday, February 7, 2010

TA-DA! Afghan Completed! (Finally)


Well the afghan is finally done! I am soooo happy to be finished with it. I hate putting things together, and one hundred twenty-one squares is not fun (especially when you put the last three strips together to add as a final piece and you find you put them together backwards, and you've juxtaposed two blocks in one of the strips - it is called working too late into the night to be done with it). As a note: the bed it is photographed on is a king sized bed, but the afghan will be used on a queen size, so there will be a bit of area overhang on the sides.

The center was the real problem area. The chain blocks all ran in one direction and I had to come up with a pattern for a corner block that would allow me to make the chain complete a circuit.



It probably took me a month of trying various techniques and patterns to finally come up with an acceptable one.
The good thing was that I could knit all four of the blocks the same and just rotate them to make the corners of the chain box.
I worked it as one of those squares where you start as a straight row of stitches and decrease around the middle to create a block. I was just so happy to finally have a workable pattern for it. I really liked the idea of having a circuit of chain blocks rather than the linear one they were meant to be. I used it to set off the center area, and completed the rest of the afghan around it.











All of the solid-colored blocks are all worked the same: a textured block that gives it a bit more detail and finish than a plain garter stitch or stockinette stitch. The one problem with these was that they were worked on an eight row pattern repeat which WAS a lot of counting. I think I could probably do these in my sleep right now, since I made so many of them, but I probably wouldn't want to! My son loves black, so I've edged the chain area and the entire afghan in black, with the multi-colored blocks of black and grey as the center and four corner blocks.

The multi-colored blocks are worked in two colors, but with a slip-stitch pattern, so you are only working with one color at a time. I really liked working these blocks because there was no counting per se (slipping one stitch doesn't constitute counting in my mind). The blocks are also about double weight, which will make them very warm, and will allow the afghan to stretch less over time, given their density. I think I might make a whole afghan out of this technique. It would be a way to put a dent in my remnant stash (I NEVER throw left-overs away!), and it has the potential for being very colorful, yet unified if I use the same color for one of the colors of each block. (My mom did this with crochet...granny squares of her remnants all edged in black. It looks like a stained glass window, and has held up beautifully after fifty years of use.)




Here's the kicker: all done in Red Heart yarn so there will be no washing or drying errors with its care!

So there you have it! Done, at last, with a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment! TA-DA!


Onward and Upward!

+ Add a comment